The ZOTL 40 amplifier is based on the highly reviewed and awarded David Berning ZH-230 stereo power amplifier which cause a huge stir in the high-end scene. Now with more power and improved under license from David Berning, this sets the ZOTL40 MK.2 to be the new king!
Linear Tube Audio’s ZOTL (Zero hysteresis Output Transformer-Less) amplifiers were invented by scientist/physicist David Berning and is licensed to LTA. ZOTL was and is still considered the most significant improvement and advance in tube amplifier technology since the 1960’s.
The ZOTL40 Power Amplifier provides 40+ watts per channel outputs with accurate, uncolored sound and automatically protected circuitry. The ZOTL40 sets itself apart from its peers, producing an unforgettably palpable and poignant listening experience.
“The ZOTL40 was the equal of my solid-state mono blocks when it came to addressing the deep bottom-end bass extension. Where the ZOTL40 MK.II pulled ahead was the overall aliveness and a sense of quickness that was unlike any other tube amplifier I have ever heard.” hometheaterreview.com
Most tube amplifiers have a sound described as “warm” or “tubey” or “round”. This sound can be very nice to listen to. However, it is the output transformers that produce the “warmth” or the tone of the sound, and it is actually distortion.
The ZOTL amplifiers does not have those colorations, they are incredibly neutral, ultra fast, incredibly tight and controlled with phenomenal articulation and headroom. Its like the amplifier is not there.
- Designed by David Berning – one of the world’s premier amplifier designers
- Hand-wound coils & impedance converters
- 40 watts per channel with little or no hum
- Frequency response flat from 8 hz to almost 50K hz
- Transformer-less design eliminates intermodulation distortion inherent in all transformer designs
- Impedance converters simulate correct theoretical output transformer turns ratio
- Low impedance output easily matches a wide range of speakers and cannot be damaged with no load
- No adjustments – tubes are auto-biased
- Automatic protection circuitry
- High voltage turn on delay to maximize tube life
- 10 – 20 years tube life depending on use
- Push-pull, Class AB output stage
- No heavy power or audio transformers
- Universal voltage power supply (autosensing 100-240VAC 50/60Hz)
- Has one input through Alps volume control
- Second set of inputs bypass volume control for direct input
- Uses 4 KT77s, 2 12AU7s, 2 12AX7s – all premium new-production Genalex Gold Lion tubes.
- One year warranty including tubes (international buyers pay shipping)
• Sensitivity: 1.2V RMS for 40 watts output
• Output impedance 1.6 ohms
• Input impedance: 50k
• 100V / 120V / 240V operation: Auto-switching
• Hum and noise: 94dB below full output (measured between 20Hz-20kHz) • Power output with 4-ohm load: up to 51W, 0.5% THD
• Power output with 8-ohm load: up to 46W, 0.5% THD
• Frequency response (8-ohm load): 8Hz to 50kHz, +0, -.5dB
• Amplifier class: Push-pull Class AB
• Net weight: 9.7 lbs. or 4.4 kg
• Finish: Aluminum case
• Tube complement: two 12AX7s, two 12AU7s, and four KT77s
H – 8.5″, W – 9″, L – 14.5″ (including binding posts)
NB: If keen to hear it on your system, this may be possible.